Why Your Home Needs Gutters
Determining home maintenance needs can be a tough task for any homeowner. There can be numerous items on a to-do list ranging from superficial accessories to urgent necessities. Nothing seems to help prioritize these needs, however, like a flash flood rainstorm. Since the number one function of a home is to protect you and your family from the elements, rainwater can be a good test to see exactly where you stand.
Rain affects our homes in many different ways. Surface level effects can include water infiltration into doors and windows, dirt and grime splashed up on the walls and even rotting fascia that is constantly exposed. Other effects can include excess seepage into the surrounding soil. This seepage could cause topsoil erosion, triggering grass and plant removal, but also eventual foundation problems if left unchecked.
Gutters could be the answer to water issues, but figuring out if you need them is the key. In order to do this, the pros and cons of having gutters must be considered. Things to consider before having a gutter company install gutters for your home.
Let’s start with the bad first, just to get that out of the way.
Cons of Having Gutters (along with counter-points)
- Aesthetics– Gutters change the look of your home, often dramatically. While some people think gutters diminish appearance, the good news is that styles, materials, and installation techniques have evolved rapidly over the years and homeowners have never before had as many options as there are available today.
- Continued Maintenance– Because gutters are usually left open, in their base configuration, leaves, small branches, insects and occasionally even small animals can accumulate or nest over time. These obstructions can sometimes cause water backups or even a breaking away of the gutter system from the home. Optimistically, however, it is a lot less inexpensive to clean out your gutters than it is to have foundation or roof repairs due to water damage.
Now let’s focus on the benefits of installing gutters on your home, which are many.
Pros of Having Gutters
- Peace of Mind – Having a gutter system gives an extra layer of protection against the damage caused by rainwater. Foundation issues can be considerably reduced because the gutter system is designed to drain water out and away from the home, instead of letting it fall and pool at the base.
- Keeping Your Home Clean – Aside from greatly reducing the chances of erosion and foundation issues, gutters also help maintain appearance by keeping mud and debris from splashing up onto the baseline of the exterior walls.
- Helping the Environment – Gutters reduce runoff that can be harmful to plants and grass in its path through soil erosion.
After considering the pros and cons, even if you are convinced that gutters are the way to go, there are still a few more factors to keep in mind when you are ready to move forward. There is certainly a lot to think about when determining if you need gutters. While the short answer is “probably yes” just about every time, sometimes simply not wanting them because you don’t like how they loo may keep you away. There are solutions to not having gutters, such as concrete aprons or advanced architectural designs, but gutters are a far more cost-effective solution and can offer a variety of customization options.
Call United We Stand Now!
Are you looking for or searching for a kitchen remodeling company roofing company near me or roofing contractor near me? Perhaps you need a roof replacement CT? We are roofing contractor in RI, roofing contractor CT or roofing contractor in MA, give us a call at United We Stand , a GAF Certified Roofing Contractor, to schedule your free inspection today.
For more information on our roof inspection and roofing services, stay in touch with United We Stand your CT roofing contractor, MA roofing contractor and RI roofing contractor.
The next time you’re searching for roofing companies near me, roofing contractors near me or roofing contractors CT, look no further then United We Stand. We would be happy to work with you.